From the Society’s Archives

This property was part of the large 1706 patent by David Meredith. It was then owned by members of the Walker family before being acquired in the 1760s by James Davis. He then sold part of it to his son, Dr. John Davis in 1782.

The Glass tax returns list a 1 floor log house 26’ x 17’; Windows: 2 windows with 6 panes; 2 windows with 18 panes. Other Buildings: Stone Barn 60’ x 32’; Stone Waggon house 27’ x 17’.

After Dr. John Davis' death in 1816 the tract is described as having a large and elegant stone dwelling, built in modern style. In 1833 the house is described as having a wide hall and four rooms on the first floor, six on the second, and five on the third, with a cellar under the whole building.

While the house is likely to be of 19th century origin the barn does seem to have been initially constructed in the 18th century.


Also see the deed history.