Stirling’s Quarters; photo by William Burwell, c. 1900
From the Society’s Archives

The first person to live on this property was probably Thomas John. He inherited the land from his father Griffith John in 1753. Thomas John died in 1766. He was in great debt and his possessions and property were sold. The Reverend William Currie purchased the property at a Sheriff’s sale in 1767. He built the present western end of the house.

Initials on the southwest corner of Stirling’s Quarters.
The initials are dated September 1769 and are MC (Margaret Currie, William’s wife), WC (William Currie),
and RC twice (children Ross and Richard). Photo by Mike Bertram, 2005.

During the Valley Forge encampment the house was the quarters of Major-General Stirling. He commanded a division comprising Conway’s Pennsylvania brigade and Duportail’s Engineers.

In 1791 Currie sold his property to Thomas Walker, his grandson-in-law. Currie continued to live in the house until his death in 1803 at the age of 93. The Glass tax returns list a 2 floor stone house 30’ x 18’; with 6 windows with 12 panes of glass; 2 windows with 15 panes; 1 window with 6 panes; and 2 windows with 4 panes. The other buildings on the property were a stone kitchen 19’ x 19’; a stone milkhouse 15’ x 13’; a stone barn 46’ x 20’; stone stables 31’ x 20’; and a stone wagon house 29’ x 20’.

Stirling’s Quarters after restuccoing in 2008; photo by Mike Bertram.


Also see the deed history and the genealogy of the John and Currie families.