Photograph by Lucy Sampson, c. 1900.
From the Society’s Archives.

In the year 1704, a missionary parish of the Church of England was established under the auspices of the Venerable Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts. Christ Church in Philadelphia assigned "an indefatigable, clear-minded Welshman" by the name of the Rev. Evan Evans to lead this arduous mission. From this new outreach to primarily Welsh-speaking Anglicans would later evolve the Church of Saint Peter in the Great Valley, St. David’s Church - Radnor (and later, to the north across the Schuylkill River, St. James Church - Perkiomen).

Similarly to St Peter’s Church there are hints of a religious community in Radnor before 1704 and possibly also a log church. The cornerstone for the stone church was laid in 1715.


References

History of Old St. David’s Church by Henry Pleasants, John C. Winston Co. (1915) - available from Google Books.
A Prefatory Setting to the History of Old St. David’s Church at Radnor, Pennsylvania by Henry Pleasants, TEHQ, vol. 34, #2 (April 1996).
Some Observations on the First Three Decades of St. David’s Church History by Frank Fuller, TEHQ, vol. 34, #2 (April 1996).
Reverend William Currie, 1710 - 1803: Aspects of His Life by Mike Bertram, TEHQ vol. 42, #2 (Spring 2005).
St David’s Church web site.
The Burial of Gen. Anthony Wayne at St. David’s by J.E. Reed and Rev. Crosswell McBee, TEHQ, vol. 6, #1 (1944).
Civil War Veterans Buried at St. David’s (Radnor) Church by Bill Stroud, TEHQ vol. 38, #4 (October 2000).