A view looking north of the First (on the right)
and Second (on the left) Howellville Inns, c. 1905.
Courtesy of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania.
Reference: Howellville by Sue Andrews, TEHQ, vol. 39, #3 (July 2002).
Land Ownership: The early land ownership of the inn tract is confusing. Mordecai Moore patented a large tract of 500 acres stretching south of Swedesford Road in 1688. John David acquired part of the tract. When he died in 1748 it passed to his grandson Meshek David. The property then went through an inquisition and a sheriff's sale, probably due to a non-payment on a mortgage. Jonathan Gilbert paid tax on the property in 1762 only. David Howell acquired the tract in 1765. He died in 1778 when the ownership passed to his 5 children.
A second Howellville Inn was built across the road from the first in the 19th Century.
Licensees for the Inn
- 1763 - 1764 Joseph Mitchell
- 1765 - 1769 David Howell, lately kept by Jonathan Gilbert on Swedesford Road
- 1770 - 1776 David Howell, same house as Joseph Mitchell formerly kept (called The George the Third)
- 1778 Mary Howell, widow of David Howell
- 1779 Mary Howell - Inn keeper (tax)
- 1783 Mary Howell - Inn holder (tax)
- 1783 Mary Howell, widow of David Howell
- 1785 John Howell, lately occupied by Isaac Griffith
- 1785 - 1789 Isaac Griffith (called The George the Second) - tavern (tax)
- 1791 John Howell - tavern (tax)
- 1791 - 1795 Reece Howell, where John Howell lately dwelt (called The George the Second)
- 1798 Rees Howell - tavern (tax)
- 1802 - 1803 Christian Fritz
- 1804 - 1810 Christian Fritz, called The General Washington Inn
- 1811 - 1812 John Gregory, called The General Washington
- 1813 - 1814 John Gregory, called The Howellville Inn
- 1822 James McKee, called The General Washington
- 1823 James McKee, called Howell’s Tavern
- 1827 - 1828 George Davis
- 1849 Hugh Steen
- 1850 - 1857 George Stitler
- 1858 John Walton
- 1859 - 1861 Davis Mitchell
- 1862 - 1863 John S. Temple
- 1864 - 1865 John Coates license declined
- 1867 - 1870 Joseph Wear
- 1871 - 1876 Peter Tarter
- 1876 - 1879 William Johnson, called The Howellville Hotel