A view looking north (from the Lancaster Road).
From The Wayside Inns on the Lancaster Roadside.
by Julius Sachse c. 1888.
References: Paoli Inn, TEHQ, vol. 13, #3 (April 1965)
Land Ownership: The Paoli area came into the ownership of the Evans family in 1719 when William Evans purchased a tract of 490 acres. Joel and Joshua Evans acquired part of the tract in 1764.
Licensees for the Inn
- 1769 Joshua Evans, quoted in 1770 petition, which states it was the first request
- 1770 Caleb Jones (petition)
- 1781 Richard Robinson - tavern (tax) Application states that Robinson had kept for the last few years the noted inn, the Paoli.
- 1783 Richard Robinson - tavern keeper / Inn holder (tax)
- 1785 - 1789 Richard Robinson - tavern (tax)
- 1791 Richard Robinson - tavern (tax)
- 1798 Richard Robinson - tavern (tax)