Description: Strafford Village Architectural Design Album.
This collection documents the architectural vision of the Strafford Village development located northeast of Strafford train station in Tredyffrin Township. Builder Stephan Schifter started the development in 1939 and built several homes before the start of World War II, continuing construction at the war’s conclusion. The designs of these homes are represented in the pages in this scrapbook and other loose drawings prepared by architect Harold Edward Williams. The homes depicted are examples of the revivalist styles popular in the pre-war era and include designs inspired by English, French, and Early American architecture. The documents consist of of a total of 58 sheets of plans and renderings, and one overall plot plan of the development pasted to the inside cover of the disassembled scrapbook. - Greg Prichard
Date taken: c. 1939
Photo location: Strafford
Source: Tredyffrin Easttown Historical Society Archives.
References: Strafford Village by Stephan C. Schifter, TEHS Quarterly, vol 41, #1 (Winter 2004)
Contributor: Greg Prichard
Rights: Owned by Tredyffrin Easttown Historical Society.
Serial Number: 5729
Donation: Strafford Village Architectural Design collection (#98)