Document Collection

Finding Aid for the Krider (Crider) / Jones Papers
Photographs, Manuscripts and Printed Matter

In the late nineteenth century brothers Frank and George Krider began operating a carriage and blacksmith shop on Lancaster Ave. in Berwyn. Their sister Elizabeth married Howard Cox Jones in 1897. Her descendent, Mr. Ron Jones, donated this collection in 2009. As Mr. Jones relates in his family history, the name Krider was spelled Crider by some members of the family. Thus the collection is referred to as the Krider (Crider) / Jones family papers. For TEHS cataloguing purposes the name Krider is used first, as the collection relates in large part to Krider family members or descendants. (Collection donated 2009; catalogued 2013.)

Photographs as enumerated in the first donation letter of May 15, 2009:

Tintype: Owen McClure’s Livery off First Ave. in back of Eliz. Lewis’, Waterloo Rd., 4½ x 7.

Tintype: Horse & wagon “Near Horse [:] Attley Potter / His Indian Helper Jack Orr,” 6¼ x 8¼.

Photograph of Frank Krider.

Photograph of Frank Krider and his brother George Krider.

Photograph of Berwyn Ave., with part of the Lobb House and old stone garage/barn in the background.

Postcard with photo of the Malvern Library.

Three photographs of Children playing at the Easttown Grammar School playground, 1942.

Photograph of Building on the site of the Kriders’ Berwyn Carriage Works, Lancaster Ave., after the fire of 1924, with Frank Krider standing at the left. (According to Ron Jones’ family history, the Berwyn Carriage Works was sold in 1919. It became the Keystone Garage, and was “itself consumed by fire in 1923.” This photograph would thus show the ruins of the Keystone Garage.)

Photographs found in the collection, but not mentioned in the 2009 donation letter:

Photograph of the Berwyn Carriage Works on Lancaster Ave. (before the 1891 fire), with carriages and employees in front. Photographer stamp on verso of mat: “Lucy Sampson, Photographic Artist.”

Three undated cabinet photographs: portraits shots of Frank Krider, Lizzie [Elizabeth] Jones and Howard Jones.

Photographic portrait of Charles P. Jones in WWI uniform. Color xerox copy

Photograph of the TE Girls Basketball team, 1920, inscribed on verso “Girl holding ball: Miriam Jones (would marry Stephen Jackson).” Color xerox copy. Note: an original copy of this image, not the print from which this photocopy was made, was donated by a different donor in 2013.

Manuscripts and Printed Matter:

Krider-Jones family history (notes, 2009) and narrative (2010, text included below)

a diagrammed family tree

a Berwyn Ave. neighborhood plot (Ambleside Court) mentioned in donor letter 8/16/09

bill for services from George Krider, Blacksmith (1917)

obituary and memorial statements for Frank Krider (1924)

newspaper articles on deaths of Elizabeth Jones (1932), and Howard C. Jones (1903)

obituary for Lloyd Krider Jones (2008).

Report cards for Miriam Jones: Easttown Grammar, 1910-17; Tredyffrin-Easttown High School, 1918-20.

T-E High graduation program, and yearbook, 1932. Mildred and Merle Walker mentioned on page 27 (copies of both are in T-E High Printed Matter collection).

Cheryl Leibold