Drawing by Sue Andrews

Thomas David acquired a larger tract, including the location of this house, in 1708. It was owned by members of the Gronow and Bull families before Jacob Kurtz purchased it in 1791. He owned it in 1798. The Detwilers owned the farm for around 100 years from 1830. The Andrews purchased the property in 1954.

The Glass Tax return shows a 2-story stone house 33’ x 24’ with 9 windows each with 15 panes, 2 with 10 panes, and 4 with 4 panes; there is a also a Stone Kitchen 15’ x 15’; Stone Barn 64’ x 30’; and a Stone Waggon House 42’ x 12’;

The house described in the Glass Tax is now part of a larger house. The barn, which was built in 1791, burnt in 1962 but a portion has been restored.


See the deed history and the genealogy of the David, Gronow, and Bull families.