Wednesday February 29th. [continued from page 10]
$6¼. We girls were in the barn looking out the over-head door while the stock was being sold where we had a good view of the “men” congregated in the barn-yard below and could also hear the crier. There were a goodly number of feminines present but I will only name some of the most important such as Clemens girls, Reynard’s girls, Cornog’s girls, Acker’s girls, Ellen Davis and Lizzie Miller. It was the largest collection of people that I have seen for a long time, nearly all Chester Valley was present. About six or seven o’clock the crowd began to disperse, there were some remained over night except Dowlin’s and Griffith’s. I enjoyed myself very much during the day. Viney had two or three of her colored friends here to assist her in the way of dish-washing etc. so that I kept clear of the kitchen.

Thursday. March 1st. 1860. Raining quite hard this morning, but broke away before noon. It was quite late when we arose, I went to milk for the last time on our dear old Chester Co. farm this morning, the greater part of the cows were taken away last evening, but I got three buckets full of milk. A great many people here during the day, taking home their purchases. Uncle Charles and Uncle Augustus went home in the afternoon, so that we are by ourselves again this evening; I forgot to state on Monday of this week that I received a letter from my very dear friend Ellie M. Camden, and on Tuesday I received one from another very dear friend Lizzie H. Blackburn, the latter one contained the joyful intelligence that the writer, with some sixty or seventy others, had recently been converted and united with the church militant. God grant that she may ever prove faithful and at last be numbered with the church triumphant.

Friday March 2nd. A beautiful day. Aunt Mary Sloan came over after Mother this morning to act as manager at the funeral of Sallie Sloan, who died last evening at nine o’clock. We had a very large ironing to do, and I did not feel in the humor of ironing at all for I was not well; however, we got through before tea. None of us did anything after tea except get the dishes washed, don’t know when I was ever so tired as I am this night.

Saturday March 3rd. A beautiful day until towards evening when it commenced to rain. Quite a number of men here this morning bringing their notes and taking away their purchases. Dave Clemems came over to measure the lumber, brought quite a handsome young Doctor from Bucks Co. with him. He and Samuel took the “chap” into the business room while they did their business out-doors. Dave wanted me to go in, but my excessive bashfulness prevented such a course.

Sunday March 4th. A very high wind all day. The first Sabbath after the sale, and the first time that I have missed our horses and carriage since they were taken away. Charlotte and Amanda went to Salem in the morning. Josiah and Jonathan went to Willistown. Rachel and myself went to Presbyterian, heard a very sectarian sermon from 1.Timothy 3:15. “The church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.” I did not much like the tenor of the whole sermon but felt especially ill at ease when he made the bold and erroneous assertion that “Baptists trusted to a mode.” (sic) In the evening Josiah, Jonathan, Charlotte, Amanda and myself walked down to the new school house at Howellville where we heard Mr. Patterson preach from the parable of the Prodigal Son. Jont, Amanda, and I called at Davis’ as we went down, to leave Ellen’s Album, it being
[continuation added from page 12]
our last opportunity as they intend moving to the City on next Tuesday. Ellen went down with us to meeting, the house was well filled when we entered. Met several of my friends there some of whom I did not expect to see.

previous   11  next