Sunday March 4th.[continued from page 11]
our last opportunity as they intend moving to the City on next Tuesday. Ellen went down with us to meeting, the house was well filled when we entered. Met several of my friends there some of whom I did not expect to see.

Monday March 5th. A warm, windy day. We had a very large wash, got at it considerably earlier than usual and were done in very good, time, had them all dampened and some ironed before tea. After tea we made fire in the parlor and prepared ourselves to receive company. They came according to expectation, consisting of Mr. David Clemens, his two sisters Carrie and Kate, and their cousin Harry Clemens M.D. (to be.) The evening passed very pleasantly, we had refreshments passed round at about eleven o’clock, and at twelve they took their departure.

Tuesday March 6th. A pleasant day. We arose quite early. Mother and myself took a hasty breakfast and started immediately after on foot to the Paoli road station to take the cars for Philadelphia, walked very fast thinking we would be late, but were compelled to wait for about half an hour before the train arrived. There were not very many passengers aboard, but among them were several that I knew, had quite a chat with my old friend Mr. O.S. Wood. We arrived in the city about nine o’clock, made some purchases before noon then went to Aunt Ann Garber’s for dinner. In the afternoon we went shopping again, took tea at Aunt’s. In the evening Aunt Ann, Rye, Annie, Mother, and I went up to Jones’. It is the first time I was ever in his new house, Emma took me all over it, from the fourth story down; everything is in perfect style. While the rest were otherwise engaged Annie and I went into the parlor to examine some of the fineries, took the $75 Bible out of its glass case and read some in it, but could not find any more precious truths between its costly lids than in one of much less value. After having spent the evening very pleasantly we started home shortly after half past eleven. It was commencing to rain when we left the house, so that we spent as short a time as possible on the street going home.

Wednesday March 7th. A dull, rainy morning, it seemed so dark in our room when Mother wakened me that I thought we were getting up very early, but upon examining the time-piece it proved to be quite the contrary. Jonathan came down in the morning train as Mother was going to buy him a suit, and needed him along to try them on in order that they might be a “perfect fit”, neither too large nor small. Aunt Ann, Mother, and Jont went down town, but as I had no special business out, I spent the forenoon with Amanda in the store. After dinner Rae and I called to see Cousin Mary Bennett, it is the first time I have seen her since her marriage, she is looking very well, though Mr. Bennett is quite ill. They tried hard to coax me to stay longer in the city, but I had not intended doing so when I started from home, and therefore persuasion was of no avail. We came home in the evening train, Annie and John came with us to the Depot; when we arrived at the Paoli Road station we found Dr. Rickabaugh’s horse and wagon waiting for us, and very glad was I to see it, for I did not feel much like walking home and carrying bundles of which we had a goodly number. Found Rachel quite sick when we arrived at home.

previous   12  next